Development Blog

Want more? Check out my development blog: http://Fifteen15Studios.com/blog

Monday, April 29, 2013

Day 1 on the new plan

So after day 1, I'm already feeling more energetic.

I didn't even have my diet worked out completely, but the 5 meals throughout the day kept my energy up enough to get in a good work out after work, and go buy some good food for the rest of the week. I had so much energy after work that I wanted to go out for a bike ride when I got home. Decided that was a bad idea, since I just went 2 miles in 10 minutes on a stationary bike.

Workout consisted of what has been my normal routine for a few months:

  1. Walk (Yes, walk. My hamstring won't let me run much until it gets used to walking long distance)
    1. I usually do a mile. Today I ran the last 1/8th of a mile. The hamstring was definitely feeling it when I started the run, but it wasn't too bad
  2. The "Hand Bike"
    1. No idea what this thing is really called, but it's like pedaling a bike... with your arms. I did it for my physical therapy on my shoulder. Today I did level 3.5 for 6 minutes. Last time I did level 3 for 6 minutes. When I started my physical therapy I was doing level 1 for 6 minutes. (I've gone as far up as level 6, but I can't do that for too long.)
  3. Bike
    1. I usually do 10-15 minutes. Today I did 10, and went exactly 2 miles in the 10 minutes.
I haven't been able to get to the gym consistently over the past few months, but when I was there I did this routine. I do this workout for a few reasons:
  1. My main goal is to lose weight (or more so, lose the fat. The number on the scale doesn't matter much.) As such, a mostly cardio workout will help lose the weight.
  2. I still need to work on my shoulder, or else it "relapses". The hand bike does both the shoulder AND the cardio, and I still do shoulder exercises at home with the resistance bands.
  3. It's short and manageable. I've been out of the game for too long, so a strenuous routine would not work right now. As I get back into shape a bit more, I'll add more to this routine, including some actual strength training. And obviously I'll add more onto the walk/run and bike as I am able to.

After the gym I picked up everything I said earlier... some apples, bananas, mandarin oranges (in the little cups, so that I can take them for lunch), grapes, and I saw peaches in the little cups as well, so I got some of those too. Oh, and I was going to get some nuts - cashews or peanuts or something - and I forgot. Guess I need to pick them up tomorrow before work. The nuts will help provide protein throughout the day, both at work and at home.

I was going to go to Walmart on my way home from work, but then I thought... who the hell goes to Walmart for fruit? Not me! So I went to Wegmans instead. Maybe slightly more expensive, but it'll last longer than the crap they sell at Walmart, and all the stuff that I got fresh was also organic. I'm not a huge "everything needs to be organic" kinda guy, but if their fresh fruit is organic, I'll take it.

No comments:

Post a Comment