Development Blog

Want more? Check out my development blog: http://Fifteen15Studios.com/blog

Wednesday, June 5, 2013

8 pounds in 1 month

Yeah, you read that title right. I've lost 8 pounds in 1 month. The crazy part? I haven't been to the gym in that month!

How do I know all of this? I've got an app for that. It's called Jefit. (It's available for iOS and Anroid, I recommend downloading it if you go to the gym.) I use it to log my workouts, and before each workout I also log my weight in the app. The last log that I have (prior to today) was from May 7th, and I weighed 233lbs. I went back to the gym today (almost an entire month later) and weighed in at 225lbs. (And for the record, I wear the same thing at every weigh-in, and use the same scale. I wear a pair of gym shorts, a tank top, and a pair of socks - no shoes.)

Now, I know what you're thinking... How did you lose weight without going to the gym? And the answer is 2-fold:

1) The diet that I started.

I've been eating a lot of fruit, and I've been eating a lot more often. Usually at least once every 2-3 hours. I start with a meal in the morning. Usually cereal or eggs, with some toast, milk, and some type of fruit - a banana or a fruit cup. Then at work, I eat multiple times throughout the day. Each of those is just a fruit cup or an apple, but I have usually at least 3-4 per day. I also have been preparing my own meals for work, and I eat lunch and dinner at work. Lunch around 2:00, dinner around 6. Lunch is usually some chicken with rice, noodles, or other side dish. Dinner is usually a bowl of chunky soup or another prepared chicken meal. And finally, some more fruit when I get home from work around 8. I occasionally have some "guilty pleasure" foods, usually a couple times a week. I'll have some chips, pretzels, or other salty snack, but I try to make sure to also have some fruit soon after that.

The past couple weeks I've been so busy moving that a lot of the lunches (and some breakfasts) have not been as healthy as normal. I've been going to Wegman's market deli, or to Wendy's, or Arby's. Although, even most of those have been healthier than most people's trips to those places. The Wendy's purchases were mostly the chicken flat bread, Arby's has been mostly their chicken and turkey sandwiches (I didn't even know they had turkey sandwiches until a couple weeks ago) and Wegman's... well a couple of those have been less than healthy. But the rest were subs and other healthy choices. (The unhealthy breakfasts that I mentioned briefly were mostly McDonald's breakfast - usually the breakfast burrito or a sausage egg and cheese bagel. Yeah they have that, it's just not on the menu.)

2) You don't need to go to the gym to get a workout.

I've been very busy. In the past month I've helped a friend move, moved myself, arranged things in the new apartment, moved more, moved more, cleaned the old apartment, moved a little more, helped another friend clean out her parents' barn (don't ask) and now I need to finish arranging things in the new apartment.

So yeah, a lot of physical labor over the past month. Which is why I wasn't going to the gym... I felt like I had gone to the gym most days, even though I hadn't been there in weeks.



Personally I think the diet was more helpful than the physical work. I've been trying to lose weight for a while, and have been too lazy to adapt a proper diet. Now that I have a proper diet, I lost 8 pounds in a month (even while occasionally cheating on that diet.)

An even better sign: today I had to wear a belt with pants that don't generally need a belt. And the belt loop that I used was one tighter than the one I usually use! That's real progress! :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment