Development Blog

Want more? Check out my development blog: http://Fifteen15Studios.com/blog

Monday, February 4, 2013

World Cancer Day - or not

I posted this on Google+, but I figured I would post it here as well. I get REALLY upset when cancer gets so much attention because NO OTHER disease, disorder, etc. gets even 1% of the attention that cancer gets. And cancer does not affect NEARLY as many people as some other ailments.

As most of you know, I have epilepsy. So I am using epilepsy as an example for a few reasons:
  1. I am knowledgeable about epilepsy
  2. I want to raise awareness for epilepsy
  3. I want to raise money for epilepsy research, treatment, and other services for people with epilepsy
I think it's an absolute tragedy that cancer gets so much attention while the rest of us get ignored.


Did you know - That epilepsy is one of the most common disorders out there, and is also one of the most under funded as far as research and other resources?

http://www.thedailybeast.com/newsweek/2009/04/10/a-storm-in-the-brain.html

We've been trying to get recognition from places like Google for years, but we keep getting ignored. We've even been asking for Google to support Epilepsy Awareness via a simple Google doodle, but can't seem to get any attention to it. ("We" being the Epilepsy Foundation, people living with epilepsy such as myself, and other non-profit organizations.)

http://www.change.org/petitions/create-a-google-doodle-for-epilepsy-awareness

Although +Google will not support epilepsy awareness in any way shape or form, the official +Google+ page is advocating for "World Cancer Day." It's funny how organizations and businesses help certain charities so much, but completely ignore other causes.

Cancer has MANY awareness months for different cancers. Each has it's own color as well. Epilepsy has one month of awareness and one color - November, and purple - and it gets hardly ANY attention even then. (Partly because prostate CANCER shares not only our month, but also our color!)

Once again, I am standing up in the wake of all this attention that cancer is getting and grabbing some for myself and my cause. And I have no shame in doing it. Even on "World Cancer Day".

No comments:

Post a Comment