Development Blog

Want more? Check out my development blog: http://Fifteen15Studios.com/blog

Friday, August 22, 2014

Too many seizures

I feel like I'm living on medicine lately. Like I need so many meds, just to still live a not-so-normal life.

Meds to try to prevent my seizures - Keppra and Lamictal
Rescue meds to stop the seizures when they're happening - Ativan
Pain meds to allow me to move my arm without pain - Ibuprofen
Magnesium to try to supplement everything else - it's been said to help migraines and/or seizure activity

And now I'm going to try to use my allergy meds as a supplement as well, since I think my allergies may be a trigger for some of these seizures.

It's exhausting - the seizures, the anticipation, the side effects... and just taking so many damn pills; average 12 pills daily assuming 0 Ativan, only 1 dose of Ibuprofen - 3 pills, 2 magnesium, 1 allergy pill, 3 Keppra and 3 Lamictal. Increase that to 13 if I take a short term allergy med along with a 24-hour one, which is usually what I do, 14-15 if I take Ativan for a seizure, and another 3 pills every extra Ibuprofen dose I need (I usually try to max out at twice a day) bringing our total to as many as 18 pills per day.

I had 13 seizures in 8 days, spent an entire day sleeping (which led to no seizures that day) followed by 2 more. This week... 3 on Monday, 3 on Tuesday, Wednesday was sleep day, then 2 more on Thursday. 8 seizures in (effectively) 3 days. Straight up exhausting. And all of this started during camp, which makes it even more exhausting.

My doctor has been out of the office all of this week and returns today (Friday.) I have an appointment with him for Monday, but I need things to change ASAP. I need yet another medicine, I need to know what caused all of these, I need more rescue meds, I need these to stop - or at least slow downs - and I need answers. 29 years with no answers... I need something.

2 comments:

  1. Greetings Randy,
    Is motivating the way you manage your health care. Do not let drugs get you down. I am also taking Keppra and Vimpat.
    I confess there are days I do not feel good, but we have to fight. Take care and hope you feel better soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The medicine is annoying, but the seizures are worse. My seizure frequency has never been so high. And as a result, I am starting on Vimpat on Monday when I see my doc. (I already talked to the nurse today, who said I could even pick up the script today if I wanted to.)

      I just want to get back to a point where I don't have to expect at least one seizure every day. I'm not sure what brought all of this on, but it started last week.

      Delete