Development Blog

Want more? Check out my development blog: http://Fifteen15Studios.com/blog

Saturday, July 20, 2013

Workouts and Seizures

A few days ago, I mentioned via social media that I had a theory involving a correlation between my workouts and my seizures.

Unfortunately, I don't have as much data as I thought. I have only been logging my seizures since about May, and I have logged 4 seizures in that time.

Here is the data that I do have:

Workout Date Seizure Date days between workout and seizure
5/7/2013 5/17/2013 10
6/5/2013 6/10/2013 5
6/13/2013 6/19/2013 6
7/10/2013 8
7/12/2013 6
7/16/2013 7/18/2013 2
(I have this table in Excel format now and will be potentially adding to it in the future if this pattern continues.)

So from this small amount of data, it seems as if my seizure are occurring 5-10 days after each workout.

As is often stated on the internet: "correlation does not imply causation". Basically this means that just because I seem to be having seizures a few days after each workout, does not mean that my workouts are causing the seizures. Especially with the limited amount of data that I have.

However, with some more data points I could prove a possible cause and then look into solutions.

My theory, as it stands now, is the following:

The medicine that I take is absorbed through the blood. My workouts recently have been mostly cardio which increases heart rate, therefore increasing blood flow, and potentially increasing the absorption rate of the medicine. This would lead to a spike in medicine levels immediately following the workout, but a potential drop in levels over the next few days due to the increased absorption of existing medication. The actual time/date of these lows would depend on the rate of absorption of the drug from ingesting the pill to when the drug actually enters the blood stream.

From what I've read, Keppra seems to have a very quick absorption rate - about an hour from taking the pill to the time when it enters the blood stream - which would lead to my theory being potentially flawed. But if the absorption rate is that quick, then why did I have to be at each dosage for 2 weeks before increasing to the next dose? The purpose of the "weaning" on and off of such drugs as I understand it is 2-fold:

  1. To make sure that the medicine levels have enough time to reach maximum for that dosage before increasing to the next dosage
  2. To get the body used to the new drug and/or new levels of drug
Again, I'm not a doctor so my understanding of these things may be slightly flawed. But I still say that if I need to be at each dosage level for 2 weeks before increasing again, it probably takes a week or more for the levels to even out. In which case, my theory could have some validity.

I called my doctor's office yesterday, and he was supposed to call me back but he never did. When I talk to him I plan on bringing this up and seeing if I have a legitimate concern, or if I'm just crazy.

Obviously I'm not done with this. I will continue to keep track of both my workouts and my seizures, and will observe any correlation between the two - even if the doctor does say that I'm just crazy.

ADDENDUM: Any doctors, nurses, pharmacists, etc. out there that happen to be reading this... feel free to leave your professional opinion on my theories.

No comments:

Post a Comment