Development Blog

Want more? Check out my development blog: http://Fifteen15Studios.com/blog

Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Stuff and things

Lots going on right now. Most importantly, I will be home in exactly 1 month.

Camp

For those of you who don't know me, I volunteer for 1 week every summer at a camp for kids with epilepsy. Even if you don't know me, but you read this blog, you probably know that I have epilepsy - and have since birth. I have been going to camp since I was 8, and have been a volunteer counselor since I turned 18. As of last year, I have officially been at camp more years as a counselor than as a camper. I missed 1 year as a camper (I think when I was 15... in 2000) to go to football camp, so in total I've been to camp 9 times as a camper and 10 times as a counselor.

This year will be the 22nd year that camp has happened, and my 20th year attending. That's a long time. In that time I have made many friends. I've made friends as a child at camp, and as an adult at camp. People from both of those categories still attend camp. People who I grew up with at camp are still counselors with me. One in particular who has been there since I was about 12 or 13, and has been a great friend of mine since then. (She knows who she is.)

For these reasons, and many more, camp is the one place that I truly feel at home. Unfortunately, that means I'm only truly home for 1 week every year. But that one week is glorious.

This year camp is August 11th to August 17th. The 10th to the 17th for counselors. We get there a day early for training, setup, etc.

If you would like more information about camp, it can be found here: http://www.epilepsyuny.org/campeagr.htm

Health/fitness

I haven't lost too much more weight. As of tonight I weighed in at 223, down from 225 a month ago. Not much progress, but I still feel great. My goal is to get down to 215 before camp, and if I get back into the gym regularly over the next month, I think I can do it. I haven't been going to the gym as much as I should be, partly because I've been focusing on my apps and other things. Life is a balance, and right now I have a lot to balance.

As I mentioned, I did get to the gym tonight though. I walked 3/5 of a mile, ran 1/4 of a mile, then walked another 1/4 of a mile. The run wasn't a jog like it has been, it was definitely a run, with probably half of it being almost full out sprint.

Then I went on to the "hand bike" as I call it. Not sure what the real name is, but it's like pedaling a bike with your hands. I went 8 minutes on level 3, as opposed to my normal 6 minutes on level 3. Plus I pushed myself to go faster than normal, so it was doubly extra.

Then I went 8 minutes on the bike... I usually do 10, but I was exhausted from the extra running and the extra on the hand bike. But I still did 2.2 miles, and the last time I did 10 minutes I went 2.5 miles, so the pace was roughly the same as normal. Then as a cool down, I walked another 1/4 mile.

Epilepsy

My last known seizure was during the EEG exactly 3 weeks ago today. That was also when I started the increased dosage of my medicine, so hopefully the increased meds are working.

I say "last known" because I don't always feel these partials that I'm having, plus I think it's possible that I had one in my sleep this weekend. I woke up from a nap (after helping my mom demolish her basement... don't ask) and my right calf was stuck in a clenched state. It actually hurt - badly. I massaged it for a while and it relaxed after a few seconds, but it actually still hurts occasionally - and that was Sunday. Again, I'm not sure if this was a "nocturnal" seizure, or if I just tweaked my muscle. For now, I'm assuming the latter.



So that's about it for now. Can't wait for camp!! :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment