Development Blog

Want more? Check out my development blog: http://Fifteen15Studios.com/blog

Friday, May 10, 2013

Busy Busy Busy

I've been crazy busy lately! Trying to live healthy, finding a new place to live, trying to clean/pack the current apartment, acclimating to the new job, going to the gym when I don't feel too overwhelmed, and trying to get some programming in on whatever free time I may have.

So here's where I'm at:


Diet

the living healthy is still working well. It's not easy, but it feels good. it takes a little extra time to plan meals, and prepare meals before/after work, but it's worth it.

I'm finding now that I need to add the occasional salty snack in. Salty snacks (like potato chips) are my "guilty pleasure", and I haven't had many while on this new diet. I crave it though, and when I have had some it was really good. . I'm also finding that when I do give in to the cravings I eat less of it, which is good. And I think the main reason I'm craving it is because my body actually needs some more salt and fat and such. (You do need these things in your diet, just not in high doses.)

So all in all.... it's a learning process. Having a balanced diet is not as easy as people think, and right now I think I'm actually too heavy on the "healthy" foods and need some "guilty pleasure" food occasionally.


Apartment

I put in an application to a 2-bedroom apartment in Henrietta yesterday. It's right next to Walmart (not too far from RIT or work) and it's fairly cheap compared to other places in the area. It comes with heat, hot water, and Frontier Internet (we'll see how good the internet really is...) It's a pretty nice place inside. The bathroom is a bit small, but I don't really care much about that.
I set a potential move-in date of the 18th, and might move that forward a couple days so that I can start moving some small stuff on my way into work those days.

My current apartment is pretty much set to go when I start moving. I need to clean my bedroom and the bathroom a bit, but I vacuumed the living room last weekend and I cleaned the kitchen and the dinning room table (which was all pretty disgusting, from what Matt and his kids did to it). So it's pretty clean, now I just need to start packing things . (Most of it doesn't really need to be packed, it can just go over... mostly just my room needs to be packed)

I'm going to clean out my car this weekend too. It's a disaster right now. I tend to horde things in there in the winter, then clean it out summer. I usually do this the week before camp, but this year it needs to get done early because a) it's so bad, and b) I need to put things in there to move.
I didn't clean it out last year because I wasn't driving at the end of last summer due to my July 3rd seizure. This made it so that my week-before-camp cleaning wasn't necessary, as I wasn't driving it to camp, and now it's extra bad because of that.


Job

The job is not bad. I'm not super ecstatic or anything, but I never am about any job. As I've said before, the hours are different, but as the days go on I'm getting more used to it. I'm forming more of a "routine" now, but it's still weird getting home at 8pm or later.

The other night I went to the gym after work, and at almost 9pm I could still see the sun settings. It was a pretty awesome site actually. Half the sky was dark, and the other half was that orange-ish, blue-ish sunset look. It's not often you see a sunset like that in Rochester. (I wish I had Google Glass to easily capture some pics/video of it!)


Gym

I haven't been going to the gym every day, as I originally planned, but I have been going a couple times a week. The other night I did bench press again, and increased my weight by 10 pounds! I haven't increased my bench weight in a LONG time, and it felt good to be able to go up again.

Ever since the shoulder injury, I've been hesitant to increase weight on many exercises. However, I'm trying to increase weight when I get to 3 sets of 20 reps. Last week I did that 3 sets of 20 reps, so this week I went up 10 pounds and back down to 3 sets of 15 reps at the new weight. It actually felt GREAT. I haven't had a weight increase go so smoothly in a long time. I actually got done with the 3 sets of 15 and felt like I could almost keep going. (Notice the "almost")

My walk/run is also feeling better. I'm not really doing any more or less than before, I just feel more comfortable doing it. Same with the bike. I did 3 miles in 11 minutes the other night, but it was a more steady pace, instead of fast-slow-fast-slow kind of thing. I take all of that as good signs.

My body weight is pretty steady too, which is actually a good sign as well. I usually go up a few pounds after my first couple days back at the gym, but the steady weight (fluctuating less than a pound at each visit) means I'm definitely doing something right.


Programming

I haven't done a lot of programming recently. I did some last night, after getting a suggestion from a user, but for the most part I don't have much time for it right now. I know of at least 1 potential bug that needs to be fixed, but I completely forgot to even look into it last night before releasing the update.

I'm doing some pretty cool things as I get more acclimated to Java, Android, and other tools. My analytics are getting more and more detailed every release, telling me how my users interact with specific parts of my app.

Google is supposedly announcing some new tools for gaming at Google I/O next week. If that happens, it will help me network my Tic-Tac-Toe and Euchre games to other players. The Euchre game isn't even finished yet (I don't even have a fully working alpha/beta build yet) but these new tools sound like they will be AWESOME if/when they are released, and it will make my job much easier.


Conclusion

That's about it for now. Everything is still going well, and the craziness is about to die down soon (hopefully... after I move.) Then I can start looking forward to summer and the concerts, festivals, and other fun stuff that comes with it! :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment